Poster presented at International Conference for Infant Studies, Berlin, July 2014 The full academic write up will be even longer time coming, but for now here’s a quick summary. A total of 1300 parents completed the survey from 69 countries. A further 700 started the survey but never finished it (presumably interrupted by their babies.)
- Babies first smile around 1.5 months and first laugh around 3.5 months. But with some individual variation.
- Laughter starts social, babies laugh at/with people not things
- Most things get funnier with age
- Babies think mummy and daddy are equally funny
- Parents think boys laugh more than girls
- Peekaboo is universally popular but tickling most reliable way get a baby to laugh
- Babies are moral and don’t laugh at other people falling over, so Freud was wrong that child laugh is based on superiority or schadenfreude!